Last updated March 4, 2021Download state datasetDownload facility-level datasetOverviewNotesFacilities
Serious issues exist with this state's data
Do you have information about a long-term-care facility in this state? We would love to hear from you.
Do you have information about a facility on this list? We would love to hear from you.
|Facility type||Resident cases||Resident deaths||Staff cases||Staff deaths||Staff & Resident cases||Staff & Resident deaths||Facilities impacted|
|Lumped or other facilities‘Lumped or other facilities’ shows data from states that have not broken down their data by facility type, so it might include data from nursing homes and assisted-living facilities. It also includes some congregate living facilities for older adults that are neither nursing homes nor assisted-living facilities. For each state’s lumped/other definition, please see the state’s specific notes.||3,579||866||1,223||N/A||4,802||866||216|
South Dakota reports long-term care COVID-19 data for Long Term Care facilities. COVID Tracking Project puts Long Term Care facilities in the Lumped or Other facilities category. South Dakota reports resident case and death numbers on their main COVID-19 dashboard and reports their staff cases in the weekly Department of Health’s Healthcare Partner Webinar slides. South Dakota reports cumulative data but not outbreak data. South Dakota does not report facility-level data. South Dakota reports resident and staff cases separately. South Dakota reports cumulative data for resident and staff cases and deaths and number of facilities that’s had a case. South Dakota does not report outbreak data South Dakota does not report facility-level data. On August 27, 2020, South Dakota began releasing long-term care data of resident and staff cases and deaths and the number of facilities that had one case in their Department of Health's Healthcare Partner Webinar slides. South Dakota Webinar noted their data is from self-reported "touch-base calls" with facilities. The COVID Tracking Project used this data because it was the only available long-term-care information on the state’s website. On January 7, 2021, COVID Tracking Project began gathering resident case and death data from South Dakota's main COVID-19 data dashboard rather than from South Dakota's Webinar slides. The COVID Tracking Project continued collecting South Dakota’s staff cases and deaths, and number of facilities that had a case from the Webinar slides.
- September 10, 2020: South Dakota did not report Long Term Care data. Data from September 3, 2020 was carried.
- September 24, 2020: South Dakota did not report residential care facilities as part of its total. Data from September 17, 2020 was carried.
- November 10, 2020: CTP started reporting South Dakota's long-term care data and backfilled it to August 27th, 2020.
- November 19, 2020: No updated data released by South Dakota. Totals were carried over from November 12, 2020.
- December 17, 2020: No updated data released by South Dakota. Totals were carried over from December 10, 2020.
- December 24, 2020: No updated data released by South Dakota. Totals were carried over from December 10, 2020.
- December 31, 2020: No updated data released by South Dakota. Totals were carried over from December 10, 2020.
- January 7, 2021: COVID Tracking Project began collecting South Dakota’s LTC resident cases and death data from South Dakota’s COVID-19 dashboard. Facility counts, staff cases and deaths, and outbreak cases are still gathered from the weekly healthcare webinar slides. Additionally, for the first time, South Dakota included a note at the bottom of their slides - “Not intended for press or for reporting purposes.” COVID Tracking Project will continue to record data points from the webinar slides that are not available on South Dakota’s dashboard to be consistent with our previous reporting.
- February 18, 2020: CTP carried all data except for cumulative resident cases and cumulative resident deaths. No updates on Long-Term Care data were given in the slides.
The state does not provide facility-level data.