Some issues exist with this state's data
Do you have information about a long-term-care facility in this state? We would love to hear from you.
Do you have information about a facility on this list? We would love to hear from you.
|Facility type||Resident cases||Resident deaths||Staff cases||Staff deaths||Staff & Resident cases||Staff & Resident deaths||Facilities impacted|
|Lumped or other facilities‘Lumped or other facilities’ shows data from states that have not broken down their data by facility type, so it might include data from nursing homes and assisted-living facilities. It also includes some congregate living facilities for older adults that are neither nursing homes nor assisted-living facilities. For each state’s lumped/other definition, please see the state’s specific notes.||4,109||N/A||3,303||N/A||7,412||686||123|
West Virginia reports long-term care data, but does not provide what types of facilities this includes. COVID Tracking Project puts long-term care data in the Lumped or Other category in our dataset. West Virginia reports cumulative and outbreak data. West Virginia reports resident and staff cases separately, however, resident and staff deaths are combined. West Virginia reports facility-level data.
West Virginia provides cumulative totals for resident and staff cases, and resident and staff combined deaths.
West Virginia reports outbreak data for resident and staff cases, and resident and staff deaths. West Virginia defines an outbreak as one lab confirmed case within a 14-day period. An outbreak ends when 14 days have passed.
West Virginia provides facility-level data.
West Virginia provides cumulative counts per facility, so COVID Tracking Project sums each facility's data to produce a top line cumulative number.
On August 13, 2020, COVID Tracking Project reported that West Virginia, which was previously only reporting “active” cases, began including cumulative case and death totals by facility.
- June 15-July 9, 2020: West Virginia did not update the Long-Term Care dashboard.
- July 9, 2020: West Virginia kept all facility totals from the previous month except for one facility - Eldercare Health and Rehabilitation in Jackson County. On June 15, 2020, this facility reported 71 resident cases, 32 staff cases, 15 total deaths. On July 9, 2020, these cases and deaths were removed and replaced by 1 staff case and the facility was marked as an “active” outbreak. West Virginia defines an active outbreak as “two lab confirmed cases within 14 days of one another, and is active until 14 days after the last confirmed case.”
- July 17, 2020: West Virginia carried over all facility totals except for 3 facilities. On July 9, 2020, Eastbrook Center in Kanawha County reported 19 resident cases, 32 staff cases and 15 deaths. On July 17, 2020, all cases and deaths for this facility were removed and replaced with 2 staff cases. On July 9, 2020, Riverside Health and Rehabilitation in Kanawha County reported 29 resident cases, 23 staff cases and 11 deaths. On July 17th, all cases and deaths for this facility were removed except for 3 resident cases and two staff cases. Eldercare Health and Rehabilitation still has only 1 staff case, instead of the deaths and cases mentioned in the July 9, 2020 note above.
- August 13, 2020: West Virginia added previous outbreaks back into the cumulative totals.
- November 5, 2020: Cumulative facilities went down from 123 to 106.
- November 12, 2020: West Virginia stopped sharing cumulative resident positives, staff positives or deaths. CTP carried previous cumulative totals. The number of reporting facilities dropped by one. Between data collected 11/4 and data collected from 11/5 there were drops in resident cases (drop of 93) and staff cases (drop of 66). The state is now only updating long-term care data on Fridays.
- January 7, 2021: One facility on today’s spreadsheet, Princeton Health Care Center was missing two cells of data that had been there in previous weeks. CTP carried over that data, specifically 54 cumulative resident cases and 45 cumulative staff cases, from last week.
- January 21, 2021: Carried values for Cumulative Resident Cases and Cumulative Staff Cases from December 30, 2020 for Princeton Health Care Center due to inconsistencies in reporting.
The state provides facility-level cumulative data. The state provides facility-level outbreak data. Cumulative facility-level data was first reported by the state on 2020-08-13. Outbreak facility-level data was first reported by the state on 2020-06-18.
Because each state reports facility-level data differently, CTP has produced a number of scripts to make the dataset as standardized and comprehensive as possible. This state uses the following scripts: standardize_data. More information on each of these scripts can be found in our Airtable Facility Script Annotations. (https://airtable.com/shr99Ep06cplrcVg6)