Want to volunteer? We’d love to have you! Please read on to learn more about what would help us most. Right now we are actively looking for volunteers in Data Entry for Long-Term Care, Reporting and Outreach, and Web Development.
We need volunteers with ongoing time in their schedules to support the following initiatives:
- Data Entry: You can help capture COVID-19 data manually by visiting state and territory public health websites to enter it into our spreadsheets. You can work with the core testing and outcomes data that we collect and publish every day, with the race data that we collect and publish twice a week, or with the long-term care facility data that we collect and publish once a week. No experience required beyond a general familiarity with spreadsheets, preferably Google Sheets. Initial training takes about 90 minutes.
- Data Quality: After learning to do data entry, you can help investigate and resolve issues to make sure our data remains high-quality, clean, and well-documented.
- Data Viz: You can help our team create data visualizations, charts, and illustrations for our website (Tableau and D3 preferred).
- Outreach: You can help us do outreach to states and territories to ask questions about their COVID data and communicate with them about our initiatives (journalism or communications education or experience preferred).
- Science Communication: You can help vet data and written content to make sure it meets public health and epidemiological standards (science communication experience and post-graduate education in public health, epidemiology, infectious diseases, microbiology, or a related field preferred).
- Website and API: You can help maintain and improve our highly-trafficked website built with Gatsby: experience visualizing data with d3.js a plus. You can also help maintain our API build tools that provide data to thousands of applications.
We are looking for volunteers who can commit to volunteering a few hours a week through March 2021 who are currently located in the United States, but if you don’t meet those criteria you will still be considered. (Some of the data we collect is not visible outside the United States.)
Note that we do not do contact tracing: we collect all data by visiting state and territory websites.
If you are starting in Data Entry, see the below schedule of Data Entry activities to see what might work best for you. Most Data Entry volunteers commit to at least one 2- to 3-hour shift per week. If you mainly have time on weekends, for instance, you might volunteer to do core testing and outcomes data collection, as that project has weekend shifts. Other teams usually work mainly on weekdays and and have one or two short meetings during the week, although volunteers can otherwise set their own schedule.