Racial Data Dashboard Massachusetts
Few issues exist for race and ethnicity data
Race/ethnicity data available for:
75% Cases99% Deaths0% Tests92% Hospitalizations
Last checked by CTP: 3/7/21
Notes About the Data
- Our calculations assume Hispanic or Latino ethnicity may include any race. Race categories are mutually exclusive and defined as Not Hispanic or Latino.
- One or more standard race categories are not reported or otherwise specified by the state. These categories may or may not be included in the "Other race" category in our data.
- Deaths per 100K are based on fewer than 10 deaths among members of the following races/ethnicities. Interpret with caution: Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
- Population sizes are taken from the Census Bureau’s 2019 ACS 5-Year estimates Table B03002.
Cumulative Per Capita Data
In Massachusetts, through March 7, 2021:
- Hispanic / Latino people were most likely to have contracted COVID-19
- Black / African American people were most likely to have been hospitalized with COVID-19
- White people were most likely to have died from COVID-19
Cases per 100,000 peopleHosp. per 100,000 peopleDeaths per 100,000 peopleHispanic / Latino
Black / African American
Native Hawaiian / Pacific Islander
American Indian / Alaska Native
Graphic only includes demographic groups reported by the state. Race categories are mutually exclusive and defined as not Hispanic or Latino.
* Based on fewer than 10 deaths among members of this race/ethnicity. Interpret with caution.
Cases and deaths by race/ethnicity
|Black or African American alone||7%||8%||7%||Massachusetts did not report race/ethnicity data for tests through March 7, 2021.||11%|
|Hispanic or Latino *||12%||28%||8%||17%|
|Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander alone||<1%||<1%||<1%||<1%|
|American Indian or Alaska Native alone||<1%||<1%||<1%||<1%|
|Two or more races||2%||0%||0%||0%|
|Some other race alone||<1%||11%||8%||11%|
Notes for Massachusetts
- Racial/ethnic disparity likely. See why
How we calculate likely racial/ethnic disparity
We flag a group’s case or death proportion as suggestive of racial/ethnic disparity when it meets three criteria:
- Is at least 33% higher than the Census Percentage of Population.
- Remains elevated whether we include or exclude cases/deaths with unknown race/ethnicity.
- Is based on at least 30 actual cases or deaths.
- * Hispanic or Latino ethnicity, any race. All other race categories in this table are defined as Not Hispanic or Latino.
- This data should not be compared with percentage of the the population.
View All Historical Data
Data as of March 6, 2021 | Data last collected by CTP March 7, 2021
Massachusetts does not report race/ethnicity data for tests.
Cases per 100k people
Cases per 100k people
- Racial data state dashboard
- All data for Massachusetts
- Vaccine data for Massachusetts: